Petroleum Jelly is NOT a Healthy Moisturizer for Your Skin!
There has been much debate over the beneficial factors of petroleum jelly on skin. Depending on who is presenting the evidence on this subject, you may believe that there are more positive features than negative or vise versa.This article is no different but here are the facts...
What is Petroleum Jelly
Let’s begin by breaking down the word itself. Petrol, which means gas and oleum, which means oil. Petroleum is an oil derived from gas. Though petroleum jelly can soften skin and has been recommended by some as a cheap ‘moisturizer’, it is a byproduct of crude oil manufacturing and provides no true healthy benefit. Pumped from the ground and removed partially of impurities, this semi refined substance is harsh with fatty contaminants. It first received noticed when oil field workers on the rig would smear the thick sticky residue on wounds to assist in the reduction of further deterioration. This was a good idea then. After all, petroleum creates a closure. Placing it on an open wound induces a barrier and in the short run, it an effective practice...for wound care. However, it could promote further infection in the effected area. Doing so as a daily hydration technique is subjecting your body to carcinogens and the altercation of hormonal balance. Other names for petroleum include petrolatum, mineral oil, paraffin oil, or liquid paraffin.
Petroleum Jelly Effects
There are a number of side effects that you may experience while using petroleum. Because skin is the largest organ of the body and absorbs nutrients directly, it is safe to say that placing the wrong products on your skin can cause problems in your personal care. Not providing proper nutrients for the epidermis to consume can create the following issues:
- Suffocation of the skin by creating a water resistant layer and preventing the pores to properly breath
- Preventing sweat glands from releasing moisture from the body
- Locking moisture out of body
- Clogging pores
- Enhancing acne breakouts
- Promoting irritation
- Creating increased sensitivity and allergic reactions to petroleum
- Lung problems and inflammation when inhaled over an extended period of time
- Difficulties in the removal and proper cleansing of skin due to water resistance
- Causing a build up of bacteria and promoting infection
- The inability of the substance to be metabolized by skin
- Causing higher estrogen levels
- Subjecting ones self to the possibility of carcinogens (cancer causing compounds) said to be within the substance
- Accidental consumption and ingestion of petroleum
- Possibility of ingestion by babies through breast feeding
- Increased risk of bacterial vaginosis when introduced to the vagina as a lubricant or indirectly through accidental contamination
- Breaking down latex of condoms and gloves causing tearing and malfunction of latex products
The risks of using petroleum jelly as a moisturizer are much too high. Luckily, there are a number of alternative natural oils for proper hydration of skin!
Natural and Healthy Moisturizers
There are so many nutrient rich, healthy glow enhancing, antibacterial moisturizers to use instead of petroleum. Mother nature has gone above and beyond to provide a selection of oils that everyone can find a suitable match within.
Cocoa butter improves the elasticity of skin cells and aids in the retention of moisture.
Jojoba oil is an antibacterial that promotes the production of collagen. Its a hypoallergenic oil that contains anti-fungal properties and have been know to speed up the healing of wounds.
Shea butter has a high concentration of vitamins and fatty acids that have healing anti-inflammatory properties. Its ability to tone while softening skin has made it a highly sought after natural conditioning favorite.
Coconut oil's antimicrobial properties reduce inflammation, making it a wonderful ingredient in combating bacteria in pores that often cause acne.
Almond oil is a unique oil that helps to reduce the appearance of scares due to it's emollient properties. Have sun damage? Almond oils is going to be your new best friend.
There is no shortage of natural oils to replace harmful, non-beneficial moisturizers on the market that contain petroleum. Opt for skin care with ingredients that you can find the origin of in nature.
Your body will love you for it. Small changes will lead to big results. You got this and we'll be with you every step of the way!
Pure Skin Repair
Want to know what products we have available for your natural skin care journey? Visit us at PureSkinRepair.com
Have a question or comment? Fell free to contact us at email@example.com